Following the success of the CIEHF’s 2015 & 2016 events, ‘Human Factors in Aviation Safety’ is returning from 13 to 14 November 2017 at the Hilton London Gatwick Airport, UK. It will feature presentations and discussion on the latest research and practice in this ‘ultra-safe’ sector. The question we will look to answer is: How do we improve human performance in today’s aviation business?
Watch a video to learn how human factors contributes to aviation safety:
Representatives from airlines, air traffic control organisations, industry regulators and investigators, consultants and the major university research groups will be taking part, examining a range of human factors issues in aviation safety in both the military and commercial sectors.
The programme centres on the following five challenges in aviation safety human factors:
– How do we improve human performance in aviation systems? Whereas the first two events in this series have focused to an extent on incidents and accidents, this year we aim to have a special focus on how human factors can help the aviation industry improve overall system performance. Where can we make a real and positive difference?
– Are we managing fatigue in aviation? Despite decades of research, fatigue remains one of the ‘usual suspects’ in incidents, accidents, and general performance problems. Why can’t we seem to resolve this? How do we get it right once and for all?
– Is adaptive automation still a useful concept? Adaptive automation has been a tantalising dream of human factors specialists for decades, yet is has not materialised. Is it time to move on, or is it finally within our grasp?
– Where are the human performance limits in remote operations (e.g. remote towers, drones)? Remote towers are a success story, but where are the limits with this approach, as well as for remote operations more generally? What are the implications for the role of the human in future operations?
– Have maintenance human factors fallen off our agenda? Some years ago, maintenance human factors were at the forefront of aviation human factors research. Lately, however, it feels as if it has been almost forgotten. Do we need to re-energise this area, and if so, how do we reintegrate it with mainstream aviation human factors research?
There will be directed panel discussions following each section of papers, attempting to answer the questions above and to determine what can be concluded at this time, as well as identifying ways forward which will create a closer connection between industry needs and aviation human factors research, so that the net result will be improved human performance in aviation.
Optional CIEHF membership
If you are not already a CIEHF member, we can offer you free optional Associate Membership when you book. You will receive 6 months free membership with the Gold Package and 3 months with other day options. Please note that this offer is not open to existing CIEHF members or to those who have taken up a similar offer for another CIEHF event.
The event will take place at Gatwick Airport at the Hilton London Gatwick Hotel, the only hotel connected to the Gatwick Airport South Terminal via a covered walkway, and just 10 minutes from the North Terminal by free 24-hour monorail service. The Gatwick Express rail service from London Victoria takes just 30 minutes and arrives directly into the South Terminal, with an easy walk from there to the hotel.
We would recommend that you arrive by public transport, but if you wish to drive, the hotel is easily accessible via the M23 motorway. Parking in the South Terminal Short Term Car Park can be pre-booked for £20 per day, though places will be limited. It must be booked at the same time as your event booking, and at least two weeks ahead of the event.
If you would like to stay over at the hotel the night before the conference on Sunday 12 November, please book directly with the hotel via this link.
Gold Package: £380 +VAT
Includes Monday and Tuesday attendance, plus B&B accommodation Monday night and the conference dinner.
Two days, no accommodation: £320 +VAT
Includes attendance at the event on both days.
Day attendance: £170 +VAT
Includes day attendance on either Monday or Tuesday.
Conference dinner (if not booking the Gold Package): £45 +VAT
CIEHF members receive a 25% discount on the standard delegate day rates. Please register using the booking form below. If you can’t see it, click here.